When you’re traveling with your pet, there are many first steps that need to be taken before that trip can begin, and at Boggy Creek Animal Hospital, we can help with some of the most important parts. Pet health certificates are required for all pets that are traveling out of the state or out of the country, especially when public transportation is being used.

Our own Dr. Keine is our resident expert on pet travel certificates and our entire team of veterinarians are USDA-accredited with years of experience in this area. We will guide you through the process of obtaining your pet’s health certificate and help answer any questions you may have about your pet’s travel requirements.

What is a Pet Health Certificate?

A pet health certificate is a document that shows that your pet has been examined by a USDA-accredited veterinarian and has been deemed free of contagious disease and fit for travel. For pets that are over three months of age, an up-to-date rabies vaccine is almost always a part of the list of requirements for a pet health certificate.

Foreign countries often require that the process of obtaining a health certificate begin between 4 and 6 months prior to travel, ensuring that your pet is fully prepared for the trip. Our doctors will work closely with you on this process, advising you along the way. While the process of obtaining a health certificate for your pet needs to start early, there are also many last-minute things that need to be taken care of. Some travelers need to obtain USDA authorization from Gainesville on short notice.

Each case is handled on an individual basis, depending on the destination of travel, among other factors. If you have specific questions about your pet’s requirements, please contact us.